Siti Zurina Sabarudin
Zurina graduated in 2000 with Bachelor of Laws from International Islamic University, Malaysia. Zurina was the Head of Capital Market, Banking and Private Equity Practice Group at Messrs Azmi & Associates, ranked as one of the top 10 law firm in Malaysia. Prior to that, she was a partner at Zul Rafique & Partners, a tier one law firm, and rose to the rank of partnership in Messr Abu Talib Shahrom. Her area of expertise is diverse, from capital market to technology practice. She has in depth knowledge and industry experience in venture capital and private equity deals, merger and acquisition, technology and information technology, corporate commercial as well as initial public offering and take over exercises.
Zurina has advised various venture capital companies and private equity firms in the course of her legal career, amongst which are Malaysian Technology Development Corporation Sdn Bhd, Malaysian Venture Capital Management Corporation Sdn Bhd, Marna Capital Sdn Bhd, Firstfloor Capital Sdn Bhd and Axiata Digital Innovation Fund and other foreign fund and private equity fund managers. Zurina has also advised the Malaysian sovereign wealth fund in their acquisition of a leading technology venture capital management company, and thereafter setting up two (2) different funds of RM70 million and USD100 million managed by such venture capital management company.
In the capital market scene, she has worked on a number of key corporate transactions involving delisting of UEM Builders Berhad, Eastern Pacific Corporation Berhad, Padiberas Nasional Berhad, Ranhill Berhad and Ingress Corporation Berhad, amongst others. Zurina was also involved in the listing of UMW Oil & Gas Corporation Berhad, one of the biggest initial public offering exercise in the year it was listed.
Zurina is also a technology and crowdfunding legal expert, and is highly sought for legal services in this respect. Amongst the platforms that she has advised are www.crowdplus.asia, www.eureeca.com, www.kapitalboost.com, www.ethisventures.com and Ethis Kapital Sdn Bhd.
As a recognition of her legal expertise, Zurina was named as a leading individual for Capital Market – Asia Pacific Legal 500 in 2015.
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (Hons.), International Islamic University of Malaysia (2000)
Malaysian Bar (December 2002)
Venture capital and private equity, crowdfunding, mergers & acquisitions, technology startups, corporate commercial, IPO, take-over
Mobile: +6019 242 8627
Advisory / M&A
- Advised Commerce Asset Ventures’ group of companies with regard to their respective investments or disposals in various investee companies
- Advised Khazanah Nasional Berhad relating to its investment in (i) a venture capital fund and (ii) the venture capital management corporation managing such fund
- Advised a Bahrain based investor (through Manara Malaysia I Limited) for its investment in AirAsia X Sdn. Bhd., the Malaysian based and founded long–haul airline operator
- Disposal of its majority stake in Pharmaniaga Berhad through close tender and the disposal of its stake to Boustead Holdings Berhad
- Federal Land Development Authority (FELDA)’s settlement and payment of the share financing obtained for purchase of FELDA Global Venture Holdings Berhad’s listed shares
- Advised the fund manager for the government to incorporate its fund in Labuan, and undertaking the registration of Venture Capital Corporation and Venture Capital Management Corporation with Securities Commission and drafting the Private Placement Memorandum
Venture Capital / Private Equity
- Advised Malaysia Venture Capital Management Berhad in its investment in various investee companies in Malaysia;
- Due diligence solicitors for the various funds under Malaysian Technology Corporation Sdn Bhd, as well as drafting the template documents for such various funds;
- Investment of foreign fund from South Korea in its investment in a leading telecommunication company in Malaysia
- Advised foreign fund from Dubai in its proposed investment in general practice clinics in Malaysia
- Transaction counsel for investments made by Axiata Digital Innovation Fund
Advised crowdfunding platforms, including Eureeca, Crowdplus Asia and EthisCrowd
- Refinancing exercise by way of issuance of medium term notes by KESAS Sdn. Bhd., the highway concessionaire company that undertook inter alia, the construction, operation and maintenance of Lebuhraya Shah Alam
- Listing exercise by KZen Solutions Berhad on the MESDAQ (now known as ACE) market
- Advised Wonderful Wire Cable Berhad on its regularization plan for submission to Securities Commission and Bursa Malaysia
- Advised UEM Builders Berhad (“UEMB”) on the corporate exercise involving (i) the disposals by UEM Construction Sdn. Bhd. (being its wholly–owned subsidiary) (“UEMC”) of 20 parcels of land located in Johor and 100% equity stake in Finwares Sdn. Bhd. (being a wholly-owned subsidiary of UEMC) to UEM Land Berhad; and (ii) proposed non-renounceable restricted offer for sale by UEMB of its rights to allotment of mandatory convertible redeemable preference shares in UEM Land Berhad to its shareholders
- Mandatory general offer made by UEM Group Berhad in respect of Cement Industries of Malaysia Berhad’s shares
- Bonds issuance by Senai-Desaru Expressway Berhad under the concept of sukuk ijarah
- General offer exercise by Lembaga Tabung Amanah Warisan Negeri Terengganu to acquire the remaining shares it does not already own in Eastern Pacific Industrial Corporation Berhad
- Voluntary take-over offer exercise to acquire Ranhill Berhad’s shares
- Listing exercise of UMW Corporation Sdn Bhd